A Texas Health Resources flag was raised six months ago on the Huguley Memorial Medical Center campus, signaling a merger with Adventist Health System to operate the hospital.

That flag, raised April 26, remains the only noticeable evidence of Texas Health's presence in the operation of HMMC, according to hospital vice president Kent Tucker, the keynote speaker during last week's quarterly Burleson Area Chamber of Commerce luncheon.

But branding changes are coming in 2013.

"In the next year you will see the branding change," he said. "There will be more of the Texas Health brand at Huguley."

It will come almost a year to the date the merger was announced, he predicted. On or about April 18, the future will arrive at the hospital's campus, and it could be in the form of a Texas Health-Huguley title, a term he referenced during the keynote address.

"We think at that point we will make some significant announcements that will really change the face of health care in this community," Tucker said.

Texas Health holds a 51 percent ownership share in the merger agreement. The other 49 percent is controlled by Adventist Health System.

That agreement was announced six months ago with fanfare on the hospital's campus.

"You could argue that was the most important day in Huguley's history," Tucker said. "It has been a tremendous partnership with them. Our quality of care is No.

Advertisement

1. In health care, that is very critical."

To discuss the future, he first reminded chamber members of the hospital's past. He recalled its opening in 1977 and the day he came to town as a hospital executive.

"It was a hospital in the middle of a cow pasture," he said.

The only mistake that was made, according to Tucker, was in not locating the complex a bit further south into the Burleson city limits.

"It was very visionary where we were built," he said.

The hospital grew to serve 9,412 inpatients in 2011, with 44,819 emergency room visits. Of those served in the emergency room in 2011, 30 percent were uninsured. The hospital had a $20 million payroll with 1,512 employees at the time of the merger.