Baler sparks small agricultural fire
A farmer's work was undone Thursday by a fire that sparked on County Road 806, about a mile north of FM 917 south of Briaroaks and Timber Creek.
"We think something shorted and sparked the hay he was baling," said Burney Baskett, executive director of the Emergency Services District.
Fire ignited on the hay baler and two round bales of hay.
Most likely, the fire was caused when dry grass crossed a bearing, leading to a spark, Sheriff Bob Alford said.
"It's more common than you might think," said R.C. McFall, who farms property in Bono and Cleburne. "Those parts can get really hot and it doesn't take much to spark a fire."
The farmer was able to get the tractor stopped and get away to place a call to 911 at 12:27 p.m.
"It was burning pretty good when we got there," Baskett said.
The fire was contained to the baler and hay, Sheriff's Office Lt. Jay Stubbs said.
"The only way to put out this type of fire is to unroll the hay bale and hose down the hay," Baskett said.
He expects the hay will be a total loss, but is unsure of the damage to the baler.