SHOP TAX FREE THIS WEEKEND
Texas’ annual tax-free weekend is Friday to Sunday, Aug. 11-13. Most clothing, footwear, school supplies and backpacks priced less than $100 will be exempted from sales tax, which could save shoppers about $8 on every $100 they spend during the weekend.
Lists of apparel and school supplies that may be purchased tax-free can be found on the Texas Comptroller’s website at https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/publications/98-490.
This year, shoppers will save an estimated $90 million in state and local sales taxes during the sales tax holiday.
Qualifying sales include those made in person, online, by telephone or mail. Layaway plans can be used to additionally take advantage of tax breaks.
Following is a glance at items that will be exempted this weekend:
• School supplies – specifically for use by a student in an elementary or secondary school.
• Backpacks – exemption includes standard backpacks with straps, messenger bags or backpacks with wheels, provided they may be worn on the back like a traditional backpack. Ten or fewer backpacks can be purchased tax-free at one time, assuming each has a value of $99.99 or less.
• Clothing and footwear – most items sold for less than $100 are exempted. The exemption is not cumulative.
Following is a glance at items that will not be exempted this weekend:
• Items that may reasonably be defined as luggage, briefcases, computer bags, purses, framed backpacks or athletic, duffle or gym bags.
• Clothing or footwear items primarily designed for athletic or protective uses will not be exempted from tax. However, tennis shoes, jogging suits and swimsuits are commonly worn for purposes other than athletic activity and qualify for the tax exemption.
• Sales tax is due on accessories, including jewelry, handbags, purses, briefcases, luggage, umbrellas, wallets, watches and similar items.
For full detail on the sales tax weekend and what may or may not be exempt, visit https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/publications/98-490.