TWIN BROTHERS: One killed, one injured in late-night Burleson shooting

Case under investigation by authorities
Article Image Alt Text

BURLESON -- A 17-year-old male was killed and his twin brother injured late Saturday after the two were attacked by gunfire in an elementary school parking lot. The alleged gunman has turned himself in to police.

The Tarrant County Medical Examiner's website identified the deceased teen as Cameron Lewis of Burleson.

After the shooting, Lewis was taken by helicopter ambulance to John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth, according to DeAnna Phillips, the city's marketing and communications director.

He was pronounced dead at 12:15 a.m. Sunday, according to the medical examiner.
The cause of death, posted online by the ME on Monday, April 24, was a gunshot wound to the head. This case has been officially declared a homicide.
Lewis' brother, not immediately identified and also of Burleson, was shot in the foot and transported to John Peter Smith Hospital by ground ambulance, reports show. His wounds were not believed to be life threatening.

At 11:13 p.m. Saturday, April 22, a Burleson police dispatcher received the initial call regarding the shooting in the 200 block of SW Thomas St., according to Phillips.

Initial reports indicate the parties involved were meeting to fight, and they randomly selected the campus of Mound Elementary School for that location. Cameron Lewis was sitting in the driver’s side of his vehicle when he was shot, Phillips stated. His twin brother was standing next to the vehicle, she added.

Authorities believe Tristan Torres, 18, of Burleson – who has since turned himself in to authorities at the Burleson Police Department without incident – stopped his car in the 300 block of NW Tarrant and shot from the driver’s seat out of the passenger window.

The distance from the suspect’s car to the victim’s car was approximately 100 yards, Phillips said.

Cameron Lewis was sitting on the driver’s side of the vehicle when he was shot, and his twin brother was standing next to the vehicle, reports show.
Investigators have determined that several shots were fired from a .40 caliber semi-automatic pistol.
At the time of Torres’ arrest, he informed detectives of the gun’s location. Police have since recovered that weapon.  
It was announced by authorities Monday that bond against Torres has been set at $250,000 on a suspicion of murder charge – the homicide of Cameron Lewis.

Additionally, a bond of $100,000 was set on a charge of suspicion of aggravated assault against Lewis’ twin brother.

Investigators are still working to determine the motive for the altercation and are currently speaking with multiple witnesses, reports show.
Torres is an 18-year-old Burleson High School senior. Both brothers were former BHS students.
The case remains under investigation.


Burleson Star

327 N.W. Renfro St.
PO Box 909
Burleson, TX 76028-0909

Phone: 817-295-0486
FAX: 817-295-5278