Roos' FG with 28 seconds left drops Elks

WEATHERFORD – A big special teams play initiated Burleson’s rally back from a fourth-quarter deficit for consecutive games Friday, but Alex Rodriguez’s 35-yard field goal with 35 seconds remaining carried Weatherford over Burleson, 34-31, at Kangaroo Stadium.

Burleson (1-2) was limited to 12 yards of offense on two final possessions after tying the game, 31-31, with 3:51 left, and Weatherford (1-2) used the field goal to record its first win of the season. Burleson has lost consecutive games, both on the road to Class 6A opponents. Weatherford now holds a 20-18-0 edge in the series.

Conner Schrayer’s 65-yard kickoff return for a touchdown closed Burleson’s deficit to 31-24 with 10:22 left to play. A defensive stop was followed by an 11-play, 56-yard drive that ended with Devin Henderson scoring his second touchdown on an 8-yard run to tie the game.

Defensive tackle Jaterrius Pleasant then delivered a big third-down play that appeared as if it may give Burleson a chance to drive for the win. He ranged out into the flat and delivered a punishing hit in pass coverage on Devin James for a 1-yard loss that forced a punt. But, Burleson ended up pinned at its own 7. The Elks could only muster a yard before punting the ball back to Weatherford, who responded with a 5-play drive that ended with Rodriguez’s game-winning field goal.

Weatherford broke open a tied game early in the third quarter with James McAfee’s 6-yard touchdown reception from Corban Campbell. Two plays later, Dylan Smith intercepted a Burleson pass that he returned 36 yards for a 24-10 lead with 3:39 elapsed in the third quarter.

Tristen DeLeon’s 8-yard touchdown run with 4:13 left in the third quarter slashed the deficit to 24-17. James countered with a 6-yard touchdown pass from Campbell for a 31-17 lead with 10:31 left.

Despite three turnovers in the first half, Burleson was tied, 10-10, with Weatherford at halftime.

Rodriguez’s 27-yard field goal with 1:08 elapsed in the game gave Weatherford a 3-0 lead following an interception on the opening play of the game. Hayden Whitten countered with a 22-yard field goal with 6:12 left in the first quarter.

Devin Stevenson’s 1-yard touchdown run with 3:53 left in the first quarter gave Burleson a 10-3 lead. The Elks seemed poised to add to the lead with a fourth-and-1 at Weatherford’s 7 midway through the second quarter, but came away empty. Weatherford responded with a 6-play, 92-yard drive capped by Riley Street’s 19-yard touchdown reception from Campbell. A fumble at midfield prevented Burleson from driving in for a score in the final moments of the first half.

Stevenson recorded his second career 100-yard game in the loss. He has 332 yards rushing in three games.

Burleson Star

327 N.W. Renfro St.
PO Box 909
Burleson, TX 76028-0909

Phone: 817-295-0486
FAX: 817-295-5278