Whitten, defense leads Elks past Granbury, 35-13

Kody Gentry’s interception was followed two plays later Friday by Hayden Whitten’s 5-yard, game-winning touchdown run to lift Burleson past Granbury, 35-13, at Burleson ISD Stadium in front of a homecoming audience.

Burleson (2-2, 1-0 in District 9-5A) evened the series with Granbury (1-3, 0-1) at 12-12-0 and snapped a two-game losing streak. The Elks are 2-0 at home this season.

Whitten passed and rushed for a touchdown and converted two field goals. His 40-yard field goal with 7:21 left in the third quarter tied the score, 13-13, on a drive initiated by Jaylen Johnson’s 37-yard run.

Gentry’s interception then gave Burleson possession at Granbury’s 13. Whitten hit Davin White on an 8-yard pass and Whitten’s 5-yard scoring run gave Burleson the lead for good, 21-13, with 6:19 left in the third quarter.

Whitten had 208 yards on 13-of-18 passing, and he added 49 yards rushing on 12 carries.

Granbury punted three times and had two turnovers on six second-half possessions as Burleson scored 25 unanswered points.

Isaiah Spradley ensured Granbury wouldn’t narrow the lead after stopping a Burleson drive inside the 10 yard-line. His sack on the 11th play of the drive led two plays later to a punt and Whitten took Burleson in for an insurance score with an 11-yard run and by going 3-for-3 on a drive that was capped by his 39-yard touchdown completion to Louie Hill for a 28-13 lead with 4:35 left in the fourth quarter.

Chance Showers’ fumble recovery gave backup quarterback Tristen DeLeon an opportunity to put on a show to close the game. He slashed and dashed through the defense on eight straight carries during a 66-yard drive that ended in his 3-yard score for a 35-13 lead with 59 seconds left.

Whitten had a chance to convert three field goals in a game for just the second time in his three-year career. Burleson was facing fourth-and-5 from Granbury’s 7 and with 21 seconds remaining in the third quarter the Elks instead tried for a touchdown, but Granbury had the pass defended.

Whitten’s first field goal of the game was a 21-yard try that gave Burleson a 3-0 lead with 4:15 left in the first quarter.

Granbury countered with Kyler Young’s 2-yard touchdown run with 30 seconds left in the first quarter to take a 7-3 lead.

Devin Stevenson carried six times on a 7-play drive that ended in his 1-yard touchdown run with 6:51 left in the first half. Stevenson’s 107 yards on 18 carries gave him his third 100-yard rushing performance in four games.

Young’s 7-yard pass to Logan Robinson with 15 seconds left in the second quarter gave Granbury a 13-10 halftime lead. The conversion kick almost led to another standout play by Showers. He picked the ball on the blocked kick and returned it for a score, only to have the play negated by a penalty.

The win lifted Burleson to 2-0 at home this season, but it must play Joshua next week at Owl Stadium. The Elks are 0-2 on the road this season.

Burleson Star

327 N.W. Renfro St.
PO Box 909
Burleson, TX 76028-0909

Phone: 817-295-0486
FAX: 817-295-5278